Thursday, December 09, 2004

Who is moved by cheese ?

Very often there are some words and lines that can be described as being 'so-bad-that-they-are-funny'. NOT!
They are characterized by the audience raising his/her eyebrows, mildly shaking the head and uttering compliments like 'You are hopeless', 'Boil yer head' or the occasional '*&*%#%&**&^&%!!!'. And if the receiver of the cheesy line could help it, he/she would like to avoid you like the plague for the rest of their natural lives.

A line is cheesy when it appears so obviously fulsome as to be an insult to the person spoken to or the person(s) who happen to hear it.
In some cases, cheesy lines when repeated over and over have the tendency to markedly obliterate any presence of IQ in the receiver of the cheese. In such cases, the victim starts to enjoy the cheese, and wants to spread it around.
If this phenomenal spread is not contained we as a species may be reduced to drooling idiots.
[as opposed to what we are now?]
The chief sources of cheesy lines are TV and Movies (they are also alleged to be the sources of all evil).
The list of big cheese moments:

"Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
"Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
"Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie MacDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."
"Ghost": Patrick Swayze's "Ditto," to Demi Moore's "I love you."
"Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime."
"Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."
"Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
"Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"
"Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
"The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."

Note:If I listed the list of Indian cheesy dialogues, I guess I would have to reproduce the entire scripts of all the movies made so far (by this I exclude Malayalam and Bengali movies which are mostly to be counted among the depressing art movies list)
So I will not be doing this.
End of Note

From constant exposure to the cheese dished out through these mediums, the common man/woman gets less sensitive to recognizing a cheesy line from its normal counterpart and starts to react to the corny/cheesy exclamations. Worst comes to worst when they start to insist on the use of such reeking language in their normal lives.
The second stage of the malady comes when the hallowed one-liners, that are so integral to romance is converted to pure drivel cheese. Please sample the exhibits below in full understanding of the dangers
cheesiest of the oneliners:

Do you have a Bandaid? Cos I just scraped my knee falling for you.

Do you have a map? Cos Honey, I just keep gettin lost in your eyes.

Girl, you gotta be tired coz you been runnin through my mind all day.

Help, somethings wrong with my eyes - I just can't take them off you.

Please help the homeless. Take me home with you...

What time do you have to be back in heaven?

Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?
DISCLAIMER: the author has the above information only by means of research and claims to never have used any such line ever in her illustrious life. Better believe it, bucko!

I believe cheese is revered as a offering to the gods in ancient Europe and
wine and cheese is a delicacy in the west (although wine causing cheese to happen is a world-wide phenomenon), Mr.Jerry Mouse of Tom&Jerry fame, has made a career out of chasing cheese and we have all been enlightened by the great work "Who moved my cheese?" [the inspiration behind the title of this post]. But I, for one, would like to limit the cheese to my pizza toppings!!

"jeez! say cheese please"
Rain