Monday, February 14, 2005

Bridesmaid Diaries

We were 16 when we decided that when she’d be married, I’d be her bridesmaid.
She did not ask for a vice versa decision because even back then, she had an inkling of the non-nubile single girl I was to become.
Time Passed, she grew up, I remained the same. We went to the same science course at Ethiraj where she topped subjects made notes (that I borrowed) when I was lounging around in the cricket ground (and Boy was I fit then!!)
We both jointly chose to quit that and move on to the professional course in the engineering college. There she topped classes, won scholarships and prizes (sports and extra-curricular) and I made my own notes (an improvement from the previous state).
We laughed, cursed, fought, made up, ran around, won, lost and did the same things in sequences repeatedly. In the end, we had lost a little of the bosom-buddies tag we used to wear. People started to get the fact that we weren’t Twiddle-Dee and Twiddle-Dum and that we weren’t joined at the waist.
We kept in touch though.
And she decided to get married on fine day in December. I couldn’t quite comprehend how generous of heart Brinda was to ask me to return to the fold implicitly. I was so touched that she wanted to share her happiest moments with me.
Knowing that she was to fly off soon to America where her groom was working, I wanted to make best use of the limited time we had together. You know they say that you wont realize the importance of the things you have until they are gone, but you just don’t get it until it actually happens to you.
Yesterday, the most beautiful bride in the whole wide world was married to her Prince Charming. I was a small part of this magnificent occasion.
Thank you for everything, Brinda. You are one very cool babe.
God Bless you.
Rain