Saturday, September 30, 2006

Dandiya Night disappointment

navaratri has come, Golu has been arranged in my house in India, sundal is being made and served, women folk extend mutual invitations to each other's houses and the unwilling are made to sing in each house.
back here, in my current place of existence, these nine days and nights are like any other. No doll display, no proteinatious food, no invitations, no singing [thankfully].
So I was determined to have atleast a slice of the Navaratri experience even if I am seven waterbodies away from my land. So I shelled out an unearthly sum (in USD) and got dressed and ready for Dandiya...

After a reasonable delay of about an hour and a half we started off, went in and picked up a couple of people at my place of work and one bunch of the gang went the wrong way and got lost, while the bunch I went with came to this place in the middle of miles of deserted and dark lonely roads; Like it was out of some typical c grade teenage slasher movie.

We went in to see that everyone else in the hall knew each other and were from the same club and we were the only bunch of strangers. It was as comfortable as unintendingly crashing someone's personal and small wedding. But I wasnt about to let my hard earned dollars go to waste, so I ate the food they served even if the theme was "ambiguous things floating in huge volume of oil". Then I was the last person to finish dinner and was one step away from being shooed out as the table had to be cleared to make the dance floor.

Then we danced for an hour. Exactly one hour only. Then we were asked to go away.
This was the great experience :((

Now I am still all dressed and ready to dance but have to settle for venting my enthusiasm and the adrenaline at 12.30 into my lappie's keypad.

disappointed dandiya dancer,
Rain

8 comments:

The Kid said...

I am sure you look good and dance well too.

-Just a kid

Unknown said...

Hey I guess u dance well. JSree doesn't lie i guess! :)

Teal™ said...

U are abroad and went for dandiya atleast for a nite!
I am here and I cudnt go even once!!
=(

The Kid said...

Since you mentioned my prank as an "interesting experience" I thought you eased out. Did not know you are still raw about the whole issue...

Will not be commenting any more.

please do visit my blog,
you are always welcome. :)
-Pratap

Rainbow said...

Pratap,
[if that is who you really are...]
flattery gets nowhere with me.
You have no clue how I look or how I dance so no point being sure when you have no logic to base your conclusion on. And yes, your stunts were interesting, although I am still wary of you as a human being.

Karthik,
Jsree mentioned here is my roomie and not our common friend... :p
so re think your compliment [or not!!]

Sis,
It cost me so much :((

anjana,
its ok...I also misunderstand ppl all the time :(
Happy Dussehra :)

Roopesh Chander said...

You went dandiyaing in the states! You must be ultra-homesick. Bet you hadn't dandiyaed when back home. All I did here was have a glimpse of a golu and some sundal and some varaveena in a friend's place.
I would in most cases be wary of indian things abroad that actually try hard to look indian. For eg., i think the huge gopuram-ed temples abroad are quite less indian than unpretentious ones operating from normal-looking utiliterian buldings.

Phoenix said...

have been reading your blog for quite some time.. missing those kickass posts you used to have earlier...

Rainbow said...

Anjana,
I am not going to credit pratap with a response.

Phoenix,
I miss my kickass posts too :(