Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Insecti-Lore

My baby steps to directing a romantic comedy were thwarted by the cruel fates tonight.

There I was minding my own business when some lady on the street thrust 2 small boxes on my hand and very affably said - "Bizarre Foods at 10". I didnt think I could argue with that, so I left.
On my way to office I realized what had been given...1 box of sour cream and onion flavored crickets and another box of bacon and cheese flavored crickets.
Back in Office when we were wrapping up (for the night...its been quite long since I've seen evening) I took a video of A friend of mine eating one of the legs. "Its crunchy", she exclaimed.
Hence started my pet project to film as many open minded non-vegetarians as possible.

There is a very sad couple of friends/co-workers, where I live, who in the confines of our collective imagination, are crazy about each other. There was a loose plan to make a love story involving the Hero impressing the Heroine by munching the crickets and then she looking at him with dewey eyes and gasping- "You love me. You really love me!"

The friend who I initially filmed assured me that the guy was really cool and he wouldnt hesitate about eating the insects. The girl in the question (one who is being teased) also decided to be a good sport and was okay with giving the insect to the guy. Unfortunately, the premised to bring the person over to the house itself was very contrived and the guy brought in reinforcements [unexpected villian, throwing monkey wrench into the works] with him in alarm.

As a result, the giving the insect in hand became hiding insect in cake. Those mutinous dead insects didnt remain in hiding and the whole thing flopped. But all around the sportive folks partook the morsels [ate the crickets] but I didnt take videos in honor of their broadminds.

One important lesson:
Sneaky practical jokes are not my thing. I should have nothing to do with them now, just like I have had nothing to do with them for all of my life so far. Apparently , orchestrating one is very hard work and great planning. If I wanted to think so much, I would live in my office.


Chastened and sorry,
Rain

3 comments:

Vijay Vaidyanathan said...

A small idea : You should've probably covered the cake with some whipped cream. It would've covered the cricket.

Hmmm... Looks like crickets are after all not so bizarre as the food company thought. It seems to have so many fans. I guess we'll have lots of surprises if we try to analyze more "Bizarre" foods. :)

Rainbow said...

you are so cute when you are being all criminal mastermindy... :)
I will tell the concerned parties about your little suggestion. Next time we shall do a better job.

Unknown said...

Its ok to have a practical joke backfire on you once in a while, adds to the fun! :-D