Saturday, July 26, 2008

What are you made of?

Identity crisis is probably the backbone of blogging.
Its an endless source of material for art, literature and sculpture also, I suppose.

Lots of times in life you will ask yourself who you are and who's life is it that you are living...
It may be because you are a drama queen who's making up for the lack of real issues in life and on the other hand, you might be this way because you are constantly changing (Heraclitus rears his well-curled head and says - "I told you so" in greek), making it imperative to stop, consider and understand what/who/how you are at this instant of time.
This is when reading about existentialism and Advaita is actually interesting to those who's reading lists are the bibliography of James Patterson (love Kiss the Girls BTW *sheepish grin*).

Coincidentally (or should I lose the 'co'?) my thoughts at this juncture of my life (a milestone) about who I am now found a mirror in one of the most excellent movies I have seen in a long while - The Dark Knight. [GO SEE IT. NOW. THANK ME LATER]

At face value, its a superhero action movie, but the most clueless can see the intricacy of the script, the characterizations and the journey that we are taken on. I was talking to Ajay today about who stood out from among Batman and the arch nemesis - Joker (his question) and that brought us to the comparison of the two protagonists. Some not so obvious points became clear.

Batman/Bruce Wayne is an entity that is split and is in constant crisis about self, but the Joker, despite the unceasing eccentricity is ironically very sure about who he is. There is a kind of purity one sees in thought and action despite the concept being - Evil for its own sake (malum gratia malus ?) which is missing in our hero who personifies a doubtful and conflicted (hence weak) good. Bruce has many regrets - loss of his love to another man, lack of normal life (& sleeping hours) that he has had to face in the pursuit of justice but The Joker loves his job thoroughly and without exception.
But triumph of good over evil is a foregone conclusion because heroes are those of us who face all the crippling phases like ordinary folk - fear, regret, self-doubt; only they rise past all of that when they test their mettle. Batman overcomes his identity crisis.
He comes to the state of self realization and things get crystal clear.

I could probably go on about the movie, the actors, the caped anti-hero (that is what he is and he is proud---say it loud) but enough has been said by anyone (make that everyone) who watched it, so there isnt going to be more contribution to the white noise.
Rather like to focus on the aspect of being honest to yourself, after all who can know you better?
No harm if idea of yourself expires often, that is called growing up or evolving...but take the effort to get to know yourself. What do you like, what do you want, how do you feel, why do you think the way you do...this part can be disorienting and might feel like vertigo but its required.

I do know who I am currently- what I like and which are the things I might never do again or do at all. This moment of clarity has come at the price of time, effort, resources and is worth until its time to introspect on the next version of me.
Sugar and spice and everything nice; these are the ingredients for the perfect girls. (Remember Powepuff Girls?!)
Me? I am made of darkness, laser, cotton candy, stardust, steel, diamonds, roses, flowing water and magic. For now, atleast...

To thine own self, be true,
Rain

PS: Trinity has posted the most intensely haunting poem and I really recommend your trip to - https://tealspace.wordpress.com at your earliest disposal (GO NOW. THANK ME LATER!!!)

2 comments:

Vijay Vaidyanathan said...

Who am I ? What I want? - I have absolutely no idea.

Rainbow said...

really think about it, I am sure you will figure it out.