Monday, January 03, 2005

Windy Madness

Happy 2005 one and all.
I went round and checked out how most had spent the dawning days of this fledgling year, and FYI am presenting the way I spent it. In my most uncharacteristic way yet- by spending.
When Peggy Lee crooned "Hey, Big Spender", she sure as hell was not talking about a guy version of me. If I could publish testimonials from my friends, they would have to touch, at some point or another, on my aversion to spending. They would also mention quite a number of other things best left unsaid, hence they will not be asked to write anything for me which is about me.
Do I need any of the 6 items that I purchased ?
need as in 'can't do without' - definitely no. I have spent 23 years on earth without them and I don't see any requirement for them now.
need as in 'its nice to have it'- definitely yes. Its nice to have so many things, you can't buy them all, so why buy these ?
Yes, I am guilty as hell. Cant even be acquitted for being a victim of the "Impulsive shopping disorder", I did have sufficient time to think and decide. So I attribute it safely under the 'madness' category, as that is one thing I can never be accused of not having. And I blame the moon.
Anand has the moon calender in his blog, to which he gave a link from the comment window. So I like any other materialistic coveter took one moon phases calender to adorn my blog. Its beautiful. Notice the location of the calender, right under the moody section. So I can have my private study of how the waxing and the waning of the moon is connected with my moods, then I generalise that all crazy people and beings from outer space may be categorised based on the tabulated readings on me.
One of the things I bought, which I am proud to declare is my very own home vcd of "Gone with the Wind".


An ode to failed marriages. No one in the entire book has a good marriage, just like real life, and unlike most other literary works [except "Wuthering Heights" which is also a true picture of "happily married" being an oxymoron].
I bet, that most guys can't stand GONE.. unless it was about stealing cars and had Angelina Jolie in it. Katie Scarlett O'hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler(vivien leigh) is a southern belle who wants to seriously compete with Elizabeth Taylor in the maximum number of failed marriages a person can have.
Not really.
Scarlett is a person who will do anything to get what she wants. She has no qualms or guilty feelings when she marries Charlie to spite Ashley, or steals Frank from her own younger sister so she can take his money to pay taxes on her estate. When Rhett(Clark Gable), that rascally scallywag, who is of the type that can only appeal to you in books, suggests that she take up a position as his mistress as he is not 'the marrying type' (which again is appreciable in a straight man only in books), she actually wants takes up that offer when she is in need of money without much of a conflict with her non-existant consience. Scarlett is one reckless anti-heroine; if there is such a thing, afterall women need not be goody-two-shoes all the time. So that is her appeal.
If there be one really loathsome character who you want to slap its Ashly hamilton without a single shred of doubt. He is a really pathetic creature who wants to be loyal to his sweet wife, Melanie(Olivia De havilland) when she is around and wants to kissy-kissy with Scarlett when she is about him.
In between there is a picture of life during civil war and Scarlett re-deems her bad impression with the readers by heading her broken household and running the show, taking care of her sisters, servants, old senile father and Melanie & Beau (the baby she helped deliver).
So this ideal woman, having married once for spite and once for money decides to marry Rhett butler with cynical thoughts on his offer of 'marrying for fun' which she rightly believes exists only for the men. she has a daughter with him, the beautiful Bonnie Blue Butler (when wheedling Wade and sickly Elle are the products of her previous two marriages are completely cut off from the movie entirely) who dies the same way her Pa did, by falling off the horse trying to jump the hedge. This move entirely separates the Butler couple who already have many issues like the wife's 'mental infidelity' with Ashley who is 'technically loyal' still to Melanie and Scarlett's miscarriage that was caused by Rhett's mean insults. In the end, Melanie who has been the only woman admired by Rhett and the only soul who doesnt believe that Scarlett is out to get her husband Ashley, dies and at that point, after some contemplation, Scarlett gets enlightened with the fact that she loves and wants to live all her life with Rhett and not Ashley as she has wrongly thought all these years.
Famously Rhett says "frankly my dear, I dont give a damn" to her entreaties to work on their relationship and walks away.

Brinda gave me the book written by Margret Mitchell, when we were in School.
And there was this other girl Shalini with whom I discussed, researched and concluded that Rhett was Scorpio and Scarlett Aries (the latter part of the result irritated Brinda for a bit, but she took it sportingly in the end as it was not meant for being taken personally by her).

So was buying the original VCD of "Gone with the wind" akin to throwing the money into the wind?
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn either,
Rain