Friday, April 08, 2005

When talking is tough…

I am a talker. Never at a loss of words unless in an really awkward state, that is the catch. Interviews will be friendly if the interviewer wants you, if he is trying to eliminate you, I believe it will be somewhat in a negative vein, naa?
People from the training institutes like TIME, IMS and Career Launcher. etc. will for a fee teach you the nuances of making your interview work for you. But I haven’t parted with my parents’ money and given it to them in any previous occasion like say my GRE or CAT exams [Which, let me assure you, are not easy] so I didn’t take their help.
I have given 2 interviews so far, both for jobs (hence irrelevant here), both went too smoothly, thus not giving me any sort of experience in handling the situation with the s*%t hits the fan. So as far as my parents and friends are concerned I shall sail through easily.
All the more because, no one in my school & college would recognize me without a mic in front of my face. You see, I talked a lot there too. In fact, popular opinion is that, that is about all I did in those might institutions of learning.
Haa…we arrive at the problem, I am a public speaker who has the following advantages – No one asks you any questions, No one responds to you by talking back- only ‘Boos’ or clapping, you usually have to talk about only one subject, its not personal.
When I next face an interview I cannot escape the following facts:
· The panel people are infinitely cooler and know better about everything than me.
· They are not easily impressed and have cheerfully made older, extremely brilliant and talented junta cry tears of blood.
· I don’t have the sound volume propagation properties of a microphone to make them listen to me. [Usually volume accomplishes the work that reason cannot]
· There are 2 of them and only one of me. [Just in case, things get down to strength in numbers level]
· They don’t need me. Only I need them.
So you can see how the odds are so heavily in my favor. QED.
*Fervently praying to all the kind aspects of God and reading newspapers and old college books*
Rain

7 comments:

Braveheart said...

Talker...Oh I have been quite similar. But its only after so much talking that now I hardly ever feel like talking. Its only with those people whose company I absolutely cherish when I talk my heart. And when I do that, there's is still no stopping me.

But as a writer, to express the depths of me is much more satisfying. Strangely, it kinda takes away the urge to be talkative. Have you felt it?

-- Akshaya

Rainbow said...

Oh..Yeah.
I have actually toned myself down a lot since the blogging took off. But I attributed that to increasing age!!

Anonymous said...

Well, the thing is that one does prepare for interviews..things go haywire when they start talking tangentially to what you have thought of..and then they would end up at a topic in their domain..thats where the rape begins..the key is to get them to talk about topics that you are comfy with...much easier said than done....btw,.. thnx for the comments on my blog
Prateek
http://prematurearticulation.com

pisku said...

They might be infinately cool people but once upon a time they too were like you hopping from interview to interview trying to impress. All that they do is not to show you in poor light but just to guage what you are made of. Its not all that bad..
cheers

Rainbow said...

Prateek Dude,
Yeah..Hope its my good day and I can 'steer' to my domain topics (which are yet to be identified)
Just Pray for me if you believe..ok?

Pisku,
Very reassuring to know that they were once like me...but do they remember that?
Hope they do :p

Rainbow said...

"Never knew you were a singer !! :-P"
There is plenty you never knew about me ;)that I sing like a nightingale is just one of em!

Dunno if I can manage a 'Anil AMbani' cos I am the Mukesh of my house :p

How abt a 'Indra Nooyi'? I think I could make grand plans (read fervent wish) to follow her illustrious footsteps... what say?

Houseowner said...

allo ma soeur

c'etait longtemps! comment allez vous?

good luck! talker, why have you been silent on my blog?!

cheers!