Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Things we do for Love

"Do only fools fall in love?"


Whenever I pass by Adayar I wonder about this; so must most others who happen to look at the big billboard with this question as its caption.Once I asked it out to this friend of mine who was driving past this place dropping me home, he said without hesitation, 'Yeah'.
Further enquiry lead him to elaborate... "We do so many things in love, for love which we wouldnt even consider under normal circumstances. That brings us to the chicken-and-egg question: Do people fall in love and become fools or are people fools to fall in love?"
Hmmm....the last question is enough material for a million books and countless posts, but we will defer from that path, presently.
What could the worst thing that you'd never do but end up doing for love?
I went for vocal carnatic classes. I go shopping. I wrote GRE. I did the UG of my parent's choice. Would not even give a passing thought to these crude torture processes otherwise, but if ya love yer family, ya gotta grit yer teeth and get on with this.

From the state of things I see in discovery Travel and Living channel, looks like I got off easy.
If there are those of you who are sadistic and like to enjoy people rubbing their visages in common dirt, then "DATE PATROL" is the show for you.
A person taken for the episode should make a videotape of him/her self in his/her worst date dress and twirl around to let the audience have a peek at his/her physical shape and talk at length of how "I am ready to make the changes necessary" because "my experiences in dating so far have lead me to believe I am doing something wrong". In short, dress like a loser, feel like a loser and scream from the roof tops "I AM A LOSER. SAVE ME. MAKE ME IRRESISTABLE"

'Experts' in communication, body language , style and a very unecessary host descend on the victim like incan priests on human sacrifice and strive to make that person as far away from being themselves as possible and then watch from hidden cameras, the results as the transformed person goes on a 'final' date.
So loss of induviduality and acceptance of these 'experts' calling the person's lifestyle wrong entirely is ok for some televised dates and the promise of love?

Literature is full of people who killed or died for love. The cops have a term for these 'crimes of passion'. And all these movies that bollywood and kollywood churn out with un-ceasing regularity; what do they reiterate? the hero giving up the girl he loves for the sake of his siblings or friends or family, or him giving up his family, his money ..etc. for his love; central theme- If you love, you'd accept, accomodate, sacrifice and lose. In short, you'd be the Fool.

How far would you go for love? and how much love would leave you bending over backwards?
These queries are personal, instantaneous and induvidual, like 'how much food would I take?'
'Would I eat more even if I wasnt hungry just because it tastes nice?"

Maybe if we follow a more un-selfish line of thinking, we'd see;
There are many good intelligent people who are making fools of themselves for you.
You are worth it. Its ok to be the fool if you can find those who are worth it

On that 'Am I kidding myself' note,
Rain