Sunday, April 06, 2008

Newfound Narcissism

Its official...I have put on back whatever weight I had lost, in just 2 weeks of lapsed time.
Nevertheless, the confidence in my looks that I had gotten for the first time, thanks largely to an excellent portrait photo by a friend in law, hasnt waned yet.

Today I had the good fortune to have yet another passably good portrait photo of me taken when I was least expecting it. I was just in my friends' to pick them up on our way to Valabha Ganapati Temple when I walked in on a full-fledged photoshoot and they were kind enough to include me in the last 3 shots. Although, I have firmly become the mayor of AuntyLand, I saw bits of my mother in my photos today and that made me happier about my appearance than I can remember being. She is a handsome woman. If I had more of her in me, I'd be very sought after!

Anyway, one more official news - I like how I look.
May not be earthshaking to most, but its quite significant that one should feel good about themselves. Even most transitory and materialistic parameter like how you look matters to your self image. Your self image in turn matters to your attitude, personality, confidence, how you present yourself to others and ultimately how others will see you. No new findings here, just that I am able to actually accept the stuff I have been just reading about for so long.

Now that I have moved to the pro-marriage camp (not that I was expressly against it at any time, just that I didnt want me married) its quite important that the looks factor and all the psychological issues behind it are sorted out ASAP (hate that word still, yes). I have been asked to make peace with the fact that potential grooms have only my grainy pictures to make up their minds for the first level of showing 'interest' (provided the horoscope, profile, age, vital statistics .etc. are all matching...which is a blooming miracle of probability).

Even if not with the intention of making me more nubile, I hope to atleast convert the new joy of me into wearing uncreased clothes to work and brushing my hair when I go out.

A Model Me,
Rain

4 comments:

Teal™ said...

sometime you gotta be vain, hermana! :-D

Roopesh Chander said...

I didn't know looks have this much psychological background - so all those fair and lovely ads are deep, insightful, reflecting of reality, and just what the psychiatrist prescribed, huh? (Maybe you should try hotornot . com? :D)

Vijay Vaidyanathan said...

Congrats. keep it up :) Expecting to see those photos.

What is so narcissistic about your new found liking? People should like themselves first. Only then can they expect others to like them. There's nothing wrong with that. Only thing is, it should not get obsessive and so far I've not seen it in you.

And finally, I can't resist your most favourite sentence - "Why don't you marry yourself ? " !!!! Just kiddin :)

Roopesh Chander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.