Friday, October 29, 2004

Singin in the Rain

"Rainy Night In Georgia"
and "Kentucky Rain"
"Here Comes That Rainy Day Feeling Again",
"Blue Eyes Cryin" in the "Early Morning Rain"
They go on and on, and there's no two the same
Oh it would be easy to blame all these
Songs About Rain

Something about Singing and Rain.

I'm only happy when it rains
I'm only happy when it's complicated
And though I know you can't appreciate it
I'm only happy when it rains

Not always a "happy" song... sometimes "hopeful"...

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me
Attention: All those scratching yer heads in confusion, watch "Butch cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Starring - Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

So its been raining for two days here. people get pretty emotional during rains...which would perhaps explain the singing and the longing... For me, so far its been about a 'Rain Holiday' from school/college, a gift from God :)
Plus, we have no water here...so I always welcome the rains.

Best Rain song sequence of all time - "Singin' in the Rain" By Gene Kelly :

I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin',
Singin' in the rain


I'm dancin' and singin' in the rain...

and the man had a 103 temperature!! they used milk mixed in water for the droplets to be fat and sploshy!!!

A dance sequence in the movie featured Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, As an imagined, idealized dream vision in a scarf dance, she wears a long [25 feet or longer] white, fluttering and billowing silk scarf. He lyrically dances with her 'pas de deux' in a romantic setting of pinks and grays. Has to be seen to be experienced.
The movie is one of my most favorite musicals. The dialogues are wisecracks, a few examples, [Hero-Don, Hero's Buddy-Cosmo, Villian-Lina]
7] Cosmo(About Lina's abilities) :She can't act, she can't sing, and she can't dance, a triple threat.

6] Cosmo(consoling Don, who thinks his acting career is over) :Why, with your looks and your figure, you could drive an ice wagon or shine shoes! Block hats! Sell pencils! Dig ditches!

5] Don and Cosmo (Twisting the tongue of the Diction Teacher):Moses Supposes
Moses supposes his toes are roses/But Moses supposes erroneously/Moses he knowes his toeses aren't roses/As Moses supposes his toeses to be.

4] After they kiss in the scene, Lina thinks Don must have some real feelings for her, but he confesses that he is only acting:
Lina: Oh, Donny! You couldn't kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy, weensy bit!
Don: Meet the greatest actor in the world. I'd rather kiss a tarantula.
Lina: Oh, you don't mean that.
Don: I don't -- Hey, Joe, bring me a tarantula.

3] Don is getting mobbed and calls Cosmo for help
Don: Hey Cos, do something, call me a cab.
Cosmo: (non-chalantly) OK, you're a cab.

2] Don is frustrated by the "cooked-up romance just for publicity," and he commiserates with his pal Cosmo about it:
Don: What's the matter with that girl? Can't she take a gentle hint?
Cosmo: Well, haven't you heard? She's irresistible. She told me so herself.
Don (trying to convince Lina): Now try to get this straight. There is nothing between us. There has never been anything between us. Just air.

1] Don (The ex-stunt guy who was once snubbed by Lina for asking her out; now he's a star and she is after him)
"Are you doing anything tonight, Miss Lamont?"
She shakes her head no and puts her arm through his - without speaking.
But he replies: "Well, that's funny. I'm busy."

So signing off amidst the singing, the rain and 'singing in the rain'
Rain