Monday, September 13, 2004

How was weekend?

I really wonder about this Monday vs. Weekend syndrome. The very same pepped up individuals who wished you ‘A Happy Weekend’ verbally, musically, accompanied by dance and mostly via mail, drag their steps and have their faces elongated by forces other than gravity when they meet you on Monday. The same people enquire ‘How was weekend’ with a sigh like they were asking about the memories of a recently dead beloved puppy/grandmother. And most importantly, they don’t care to listen to the reply;
You could have very well said, ‘yeah, I dug a hole and reached Fiji. Where I met Brad Pitt surfing[ wouldn’t that be the day], he asked me out… one thing led to another and we have set the date for exactly one hour after his divorce with Jen is legally pronounced.’ ‘you might as well start calling me Pitt’. [ what an unfortunate name, he had to be goodlooking to survive with this through high school]
The above statement would have made a very wooden statue flash its eyes but not the Monday-haters, they will smile mistily and say ‘Hmm.. yeah well’. [ what you said, sounds to them like ‘ bleh blah blue blunk blaha’]

The worst thing about Monday is waking up in the morning. But that is the case for every other day too. So as far as I am concerned, Monday is like every other day.

People who hate Mondays are those who like to think that their weekends were very cool and that if it could’ve been extended, that they would’ve had a blast. I say ‘like to think’
because the very same species, I know for a fact, spend their time watching ‘Walking with the Dinosaurs’ or ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’. Worse when some of these mammals crowd up and try to outdo one another in a contest of who has the most number of trivia about Gates and Torvalds. One thing would lead to the other [just like my supposed date with Brad, only in the extremely different way] and finally the group will be at each others throats in a debate about Linux vs. Windows.

The other extreme is occupied by those rare individuals who actually have a social life. These creatures have plans for weekends that doesn’t involve fatty foods, Telly, cleaning and parents. These people actually enjoy their weekends in the company of others, doing cool stuff like ‘Hangin’ , ‘Chillin’, ‘Checking Out’, ‘Killin Time’..etc. and many other such stimulating pursuits. So every Monday for them is the promise of the next wonderful weekend. These are the people that the Monday haters steer clear of, because the happy people will not mind elucidating their good times and that would reproduce the same reaction that Marie got when she cheerfully suggested that the starved crowd consume pastries if bread had run out.

I belong to the middle earth category [ I am not a hobbit, a little bit of an elf perhaps]. I welcome weekends because it means I don’t have to be anywhere from 9-6, don’t have to get mail from people, don’t have to answer them,…many many such benefits exist. I don’t have exciting times at fabulous places with gorgeous people. But I love crashing over at my friends’, catching a movie perhaps, having hours of conversations with the people I like, getting into a book while my music plays in the background.
I know fully well that if I don’t have 5 weekdays, then my weekends wouldn’t be special at all; and that it would mean I am unemployed, which is the last thing I want to be, with the exception of being Laloo Prasad Yadav.
So I welcome Monday and the possibilities it brings for the entire upcoming week. That is once I am up from bed I welcome Monday.

On that cheery note on a great Monday that holds the promise of a wonderful week ahead,
Rain

No comments: