Friday, September 17, 2004

Lover's Spat on the Train

"Tis' better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all"

NOT. Tis frequently heard of, that innocent bystanders face misery when they inadvertly come in between 2 gangs... ha ha .. that sounds like a walk in the park, compared to what happened to this innocent bysitter [moi] on the train yesterday.

Dusk was approaching and a slight drizzle had started. Dodging the muddy pools, I sped my way up to the 2nd floor platform and got into a compartment .... ok, cutting the boring story short;

I was sitting idly opening "CATCH-22", hoping to have a good read, when a young lady who looked 15 stomped in and literally pushed me out of the seat as she settled herself adjacent to me. She appeared really pissed off, i was about to give her a piece of my mind relating to taking out anger in public, when a sweaty pimply youth of 19 came breathlessly in. he quailed under the fire from her eyes, his expression akin to a sacrificial lamb.
She plopped her bag next to her free side to prevent him from settling there, so he sat on the other side of ... me. It was like 'pati, patni aur woh'.. rather like 'girlfriend, innocent bysitter aur sheepish boyfriend'
then the torrent started both in words inside the compartment and in the heavens outside of it.
He had apparently "Treated a girl like a house wife"
did he "expect her to wait for him daily till 6.30"? why should she care of he works out?
[ although, I speculate that that action of his might've actually initiated some interest on her part. ]
yes, very relevant questions all. He had nothing to offer by means of answers. He smiled.
He could have stuck needles into his eyes instead. Because that enraged her further - 'She was talking seriously and what did he mean by laughing at her?'
then there was a brief quiet spell, I actually, managed to finish the preface and go on to the first chapter.
Boy turned to me suddenly, toward her actually and very eloquently said "Hi". No reaction.
He shot his hand out in front of my and his girl's faces and waved it. She turned now.
No words. she resumed her normal position again. He then proceeded to state that:
'excuse him but he had said hi'. magic of undefeatable logic.
The lady now went from shrill to supersonic, she stuck her arm out to him [ and also me as I was right in between them] and shook it threateningly.
'Stop it', she said,'I am trying not to hit you in public' [hidden implication being that she hits him a lot in private. snickers] 'I don't want to create a scene here' [ a little bit too late for that I should say, she had created a whole epic complete with drama, emotions, love, tragedy and comedy. had she hit him, it would have served the purpose of the mandatory action sequences required.]

I would've stayed on just to watch if our action-oriented anti-heroine had bashed her sorry boyfriend [ who had just come in from gym, mind you. she was anorexic. so picture the girl beating the guy.] but my father had unfortunately taken it upon himself to take me home from the station. So very unwillingly I stepped out to my station just as things were getting interesting. The last I saw of the couple was him inching closer to his lady love, the barrier dividing them [ moi again] not longer existing and her just looking at him in expectation.
the ending that lovers walking in to the sunset are made of.
And they lived sappily error after...


On a note of being 'Unhooked and Happy' :)
Rain