Tuesday, September 07, 2004

My First Movie Review

There are times in life when a highly wonderful book gets made into a very good movie, it occurs rarely but Lord of the Rings- Fellowship of the Ring is one such example.


Peter Jackson has done great work- the casting is close to perfect, the sequences of fantasy have been brought alive (check out the scapes of Rivendell), the movie remains quite faithful to the book. I said quite because the escapades in the great forest, Tom Bombadil, the extended anecdotes at the Prancing Pony have all been cut short so that the audience can go home for the day and not have to set up camp in the theatre.
The surprise package is Viggio Mortenson. He is what I think would be the personification of 'Dumb Blonde' in the previous movie that I saw of his (as gwenyth palthrow's painter-lover).
So I was quite aghast that he should've been chosen to play the 'tall, dark, very handsome and kingly' Aragon. Thankfully, he didnt ham at all and lent a very rugged and human version of Stryder.

The best character would be Sam Gamgee. I know most people would be rooting for Frodo, but let me tell you - all through the 3 movies, he looks sadly with big huge eyes filling with tears and grows weaker and weaker. If you have seen any other movie starring him, he would've have emoted the same too. But sam has been played so close to the book version of the character that its quite gratifying for a faithful reader to watch the movie.
My personal favorite, both in the book and the movie has been undoubtedly, Legolas. There is an extremely Ram-like look and appeal to this elven prince played by Orlando Bloom( who is so pretty and useless otherwise that he could be the next Bond Girl even though he is being considered as the next Bond). Admit it, there is some thing really cool about this fair-haired, pointy-eared, light-footed archer elf even if it be an admiration of his heightened perceptions.
He even has a goddamned chemistry with the natural enemy the dwarf prince Gimli, whom he hates first!!! if it were to be made in bollywood then legolas and gimli would have realised their love for each other by interval and crossed all the obstructions in their path and gotten together towards the end of the movie. that intrinsically includes a family song (imagine elves and dwarfs dancing together to a 'Sooraj Barjatya' tune), a rain song, a sad song and a 'i-think-i'm-in-love' song. I think I have begun to freak myself out here so I will stop about the odd couple.

There is no need to discuss the story itself, for its a classic and all people have to necessarily have read it in order for them to consider their life complete. [ Aren't you guys glad that I am not education minister?!!]

Next point I would like to cover is why am I giving my views about the movie that came out 2 years ago? Simple, I didn't see it then. There was a person who promised to watch the movie with me when a digitally enhanced version would hit the theatres in 25years time (like star wars did) since I had missed the giant screen enjoyment. Let's see if that happens acording to plan.
Since I doubt that very much, I went ahead and rented the VCD to watch over the weekend (which went very well thanks, any time away from office without pay-cut is 'goodtime').

On that very personal note from my tragic memories box, I close this post.

Three rings for the elven kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf lords in their stone halls,
Nine for the mortal men doomed to die,
One for the dark lord in his dark throne.

In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie,
One Ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
one ring to bring them all and in the darkness, bind them.
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

Rain


No comments: