Monday, September 27, 2004

Of Horror & Of Rhyme

I have for some reason, a habit, of reading horror novels at night. Like the mosquitoes, grow resistence to the repellent we use for our own mental satisfaction, I have grown resistant to the average level of gore to truly enjoy spine tingling horror. When the King [ the only King] invokes vomit in other people, I find his writings to reflect all the facets and emotions of Homo sapiens sapiens.

Yesterday was a breakthrough, I lost my non-reaction to horror for nearly 20 minutes and clambered up to my Mother at 3 am, when I was done with “From a Buick 8”.


My mother was alarmed, you would be too if your 22 yr old came to you in an unearthly hour and demanded to be protected from pink-haired ET thingies spewed out of a made-up Buick 8. I have a non-passionate, mild sort of liking for cars, as opposed to those intense feelings that guys have or them; and at the outset, the story is about a car that is not a car but like a prop which acts like a doorway between our world and ‘god-knows-what-the-hell-it-is’. People, things, flora and fauna that are kept in its vicinity doing its light and temperature shows [ the temperature drops, there is a feeling of a mild earthquake and it glowers out in violet and purple, my favorite colors] sometimes disappear, and sometimes don’t. Out of it, come still-born or dying monsters that are a horrible parody on our life forms, here the pink thingie comes.
But it’s subtly about a boy trying to re-discover his dead father among the memories of his father’s co-worker friends; his inability to accept the senselessness loss of a parent and having to live through it. About a bunch of Pennsylvania state troopers, their close-knit lives and their loyalties to sworn secrecy. It was great.

I remembered a limerick told by Srikanth, a couple of years back:
“Roses are red, violets are blue. Limericks should rhyme, but this one doesn’t…”
The recollection came from the Calvin strip where our hero writes one for Susie Derkins [the future Mrs. Calvin]: “Roses are red, a deep crimson hue. When you get into trouble, you turn the same shade too”
Which in turn brought to mind other Roses are Red maxims, like :
“Roses are red, violets are blue. Smell my socks and kiss my shoe”
“Roses are red, violets are blue. Monkeys like you, should be locked in a zoo”
So, I googled about it and got a link of small children who have each written their own versions. If you want to check out all of them, click here.

I am posting here some that caught my fancy: [In sequence with my original comments]
Roses are red that car is black Look over there Now I've got your snack. [very me]
Roses are red. Lilies are white. I've grown an inch. My undies are tight. [as a consequence of the previous action?]
Roses are red. Violets are blue. I'm in trouble. What did I do? [ My most frequent lament]
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I copied your test, and I failed, too! [Other people’s lament to me (smirk)]

On a poetic note, “Roses are red, violets are blue. The post is now ending; well, boo hoo!”
Rain